NC Divorce Forum A community for family law issues in North Carolina - moderated by Rosen Law Firm

Expenses that are considered Reasonable?

Please post your North Carolina Divorce discussion comments and questions. Rosen Law Firm attorneys WILL RESPOND to legal questions within 3 business days.

Moderators: Lee Rosen, Erin Clarey, Lindsay Willis

by ncgriffins » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to the board, so please excuse if this has been asked before. Here is the situation: Ex and I have been separated for exactly 1 year in NC. We have a legal custody document, separation document, and everything is finalized. She actually pays me a very small amount of child support each month.

In addition, we split expenses (uninsured medical, extra curricular, sports, etc). We have a 17yr daughter and 13 yr old son. The split is 41% (me) and 59%(her).

Recently, she took our daughter to visit a college. She expensed the gas to take her, and the parking for the garage. She would have expensed food as well, but I had previously argued over that. She lastly expensed a college t-shirt and water bottle that she purchased for our duaghter as a souveneir.

I complained about the t-shirt and water bottle. This may seem small and insignificant, but it's a repeating pattern. She will purchase items, give them to the kids and later expense it and the children think it's a gift from her, or she will expense things that I do not necessarily agree are resonable.

So, the question is this. What in this scenario would you consider "reasonable"? She will be taking my daughter to dance competitions this spring and summer. Are hotel costs reasonable? Is Gas? Is food? I feel like a business writing expense checks. If food is reasonable, should she get a per diem?!?

Thanks in advance!
NC Griffins
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:51 pm

by EndoftheLine » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Woah, sounds like she's just spending your money with a free pass.

You only need to split EXACTLY what is outline in the order. So unless your order says you split expenses at the souvenir shop, they you are not obligated to pay.

As for the competition expenses, I would argue you only need to split the cost that would be associated with your daughter. So if your ex-wife is going and shares the hotel room, then you would owe your part of HALF of the hotel room bill since your ex-wife is also using it.
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:00 am

by needtoleave » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 pm

***not an attorney***

I am an ex-wife, and I fully agree with EndoftheLine. I think she is expensing things that are 1. petty and 2. ineligible to be expensed. That would be like me expensing to my ex half of the cost from when I took my DS to Disney, stayed in a hotel, and bought him a souvenir.

I view valid expenses as medical, extracurricular/sports and the like...but things that are unnecessary, such as souvenirs are ridiculous to ask for reimbursement on. Same goes for meals while out...that is something that was extra and optional...and these are the kinds of things that child support and her own income/money should cover, in my personal opinion.

While I understand that visiting a college is important, it's still not something that I would ever expect my ex to cover a % of, unless we discussed it beforehand and it was agreed to, because it is not outlined in the order/agreement.

Just wanted to give perspective from an ex-wife...your ex is trying to take advantage of the agreement, I think...
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 pm

by Ryan Short » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Unless your agreement provides otherwise, I don't think you are obligated to pay half those expenses.
Ryan Short
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Ballantyne • Cary • Chapel Hill • Charlotte • Durham • Raleigh • Matthews • Pineville

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here


We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh divorce lawyer, Charlotte divorce lawyer, or Durham divorce lawyer

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.
Ryan Short
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 am

Return to Divorce and Separation Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests