7 years later


Dear moodybc:

Greetings. If the parties are divorced and they did not have a separation agreement or a filed action for equitable distribution in the court, the house transferred to the party(s) whose name is on the property. If it was titled jointly, it is still joint property and your father can petition the court to have the property sold. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My parents have been seperated for 7 years now and divorced for 6. My father owns his own business and is worth quite a bit of money. The reason for the divorce was that my father was having an affair. Even after knowing this my mother still wanted to work things out. No property was ever settled. Now 7 years later, my father is wanting half of the house. Is there a time restraint on this? If my father can still go after the house does that mean my mother can go after his business?