Ad placement

I have been separated from my spouse since May 1st. I have had several people tell me that I should place a newspaper ad in the local paper saying that I am not responsible for any debt that he incurs since the separation. Is this something I should do or does it not hold any legal value.

The add will not relieve you of responsibility with respect to the creditors themselves for accounts he may have access to which are in your name. I suggest that you cancel remove his as authorized user on all of your accounts, and have the account numbers changed. You should also contact the credit bureaus and place a fraud alert on your credit to prevent him from attempting to open new accounts in your name.