Affair child

My husband is having an affair, and his paramour is having his baby in August. He has said he wants a paternity test.
a few questions:

1. Will my child support/alimony be lower if she files for child support before I do?
  2. Since the child will be illegitimate, does the child have right to inheritance?
  3. Should I pursue AOA lawsuit? I have plenty of evidence that we were happily married, and the paramour continuously pursued my husband.

(1) Your child support won’t necessarily be lower if she files for child support before you do. The existence of another child for which your husband is financially responsible for could affect the child support you receive. If your husband is paying child support to the paramour or otherwise financially responsible for the child, then that amount is deduced from his monthly gross income when determining child support owed to you. And this works vice versa if the paramour is trying to determine child support owed to her.

(2) If the father of an illegitimate child died without a will and without having legitimized the child, then the child would not be able to inherit from the father.

(3) It sounds like you may be able to pursue an alienation of affection claim against the paramour. You may also have a claim for criminal conversation.

For alienation of affection, you would need to prove that (1) you and your husband were happily married and had a genuine love and affection existing between you, (2) that love and affections was alienated and destroyed, and (3) the paramour’s wrongful and malicious acts caused the alienation of affection between you and your husband.

For criminal conversation, you would need to prove that (1) you and your husband were married, and (2) your husband had sexual intercourse with a third party during the marriage.

Check out our article Infidelity and Alienation of Affection for more detailed information on the claims of alienation of affection and criminal conversation.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.