Alienation of Affection Questions ASAP

Can anything done after a couple is separated lead to an alienation of affection claim? Also if a spouse allows her husband to come back after leaving isn’t that basically forgiving anything that happened before?

Yes, a spouse that continues to see a paramour after a separation can lead to an alienation of affection claim if that spouse starting dating the paramour during the marriage. If a spouse begins dating someone after a separation has occurred, then there will be no basis for an alienation of affection claim.

Yes, Wife allowing Husband to move back into the marital residence could be viewed as Wife condoning the acts of Husband.

For more information on the alienation of affection claim, check out our detailed article Infidelity and Alienation of Affection.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.