Alimony wage garnishment and UIFSA

I currently have a NC court order which provides for wage garnishment for payment of alimony from my ex. I currently reside in NC and he in Utah. I recently found out the name and location of his current employer and sent certified copies of the original alimony order and the subsequent order allowing for wage garnishment via overnight mail. His employer’s payroll is located in a 3rd state. The payroll person contacted me and advised they need an order directly from the court with payments to be sent to the court, or the order registered in my ex’s state of residence which is Utah.

I forwarded the payroll person the information on UIFSA and I’m currently at a stalemate as they insist they need some other order to allow them to comply with the order I sent.

I am at a loss of what to do at this point to compel my ex’s employer to comply with the order. It has been 13 days since the employer received the order. Is my only recourse to hire an attorney? I don’t even know where to begin as far as what state do I need an atorney from to assist in this matter. I thought the entire purpose of UIFSA was to remove barriers in collecting family support, but in this case, it seems the employer is wanting me to jump through unecessary hoops. The alimony is a significant monthly amount over $2,000/month. Please advise the best course of action.

There is a process by which you can have the alimony order registered in Utah. North Carolina will still have jurisdiction, registering the order is a different process. A Utah attorney would be better suited to help you as they would have knowledge of the local rules and what is required int hat state to register the order.

If you are still unable to get anywhere after registration, you can always file a motion for show cause and seek to have your ex held in contempt.