It’s possible that you could if there was nothing signed. This is a change of circumstance that would allow you to re-figure child support if not alimony.
Hopefully an attorney will respond to this but I wouldn’t think it would cost a lot to consult with an attorney on this to see what your options are.

Dear ssautonova:

Greetings. stepmother is right - if you did not sign a separation agreement or court order, then you should be able to renegotiate. Change of circumstances does not necessarily give you the right to renegotiate. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My question is if I agreed out of court (through mediation) to an amount and duration for alimony do I have a right to renegotiate? She lived on just the child support and post separation support for a little over a year. Our divorce agreement was settled in july 2004, she did not work at that time, 1 week after we settled she went and got a job. So is this a “change of circumstance” to renegotiate? Thanks for any help or advice. If more information is needed let me know. sean