Bigamous Marriage


You answered a question for me some time ago, but I need to clarify your answer.

Background: I discovered my ex was not divorced from his first wife when we married, which makes our marriage void.

You stated I needed to file a Prayer for Judgement with the court to declare the marriage void. Is it a Prayer for Judgement that I need to file or a Motion for Summary Judgement?

The only information I find on Prayer for Judgement is related to traffic citations, so I wanted to clarify.


You may file a complaint with the court seeking a declaratory judgement that the marriage is void, however the marriage is void ab initio meaning void from its inception and no action is legally necessary.