Boarding School and Child Support

I am looking into a boarding school for my son for his senior year in HS. I have primary custody and am currently receiving child support. We live in Raleigh, and the boarding school is in Winston Salem. If I send him to the boarding school, how does that affect child support payments. My son is currently in private school where I am responsible for paying. I will pay for the boarding school which may be half the cost of his current school.

Unless the child support terms of your separation agreement or child support order are modified, child support will be unaffected if your son attends a boarding school.

If you currently have a child support order, it is possible that the parent paying child support will file a motion to modify based on the fact that your son is attending boarding school. The judge will hear the evidence and determine whether or not there should be a deviation from the child support guidelines.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.