Can Child Support Enforcement

My question is what information can child support enforcement get? He has received 1099’s for years and DOES NOT file taxes. Shouldn’t that be easy to get from Social Security? I spoke to a former employer of his and he paid him over $30,000 in less than a year. Like he said there’s no way anyone wouldn’t give him a 1099 because if they didn’t they would have to pay taxes on the money he was paid. My case is through child support enforcement in Davidson County and I’m owed a little over $40,000. He usually gets arrested once every 3 years and may pay a few hundred dollars if I’m lucky. The last court date the lawyer for the county refused to get bank and tax records from my ex and his wife. He said it was a waste of time and he would drop my case if I didn’t like how he handled it. (I’ve been know to fuss about things, and correct him in front of the Judge.) I have no friends in this office.
Thanks for any help.

Child Support Enforcement should be able to get record of any reported earnings from employers, including W-2s and 1099s. You can ask that the CSE attorney subpoena the paycheck/1099 records for the father from his former employer to show he earned an income.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

1 Like

Sorry this is so late! Thank you so much. You do great work. Laws seriously need to be changed to help the kids who suffer through this.