Can I move to Miami?

You can raise all of these issues in the custody trial. A court could grant you custody with the right to move to Florida. Ultimately it is the decision of a district court judge once you are in the court process.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am a single mom of a 4 year old boy who has never been married to the father. He was not around during the first 2 years of his life and I had to get court ordered child support. I had a domestic violence protection consent order against him and it expired a year ago (it included child neglect). He has been taking him on the weekends for 2 years now. I got accepted to the University of Miami on a large scholarship due to my grades at my current state college. Only 600 out of 2600 applicants got accepted this year and I don’t want to pass up this opportunity for my son’s future. Graduating from this school will help me afford to put him through college. When I spoke of moving, his father said “see you in court” and I have just recieved papers stating that he wants full custody. He has a history of drug abuse and violence (pushing me down when I was pregnant) but only a few incidences were reported. Can he force me to stay in NC forever?