Can I terminate his parental rights?

You can’t terminate his rights. Even though you might not like the way he’s doing things, or has done things, parents have certain unalienable rights. Even rapists can see their kids. However, you can do things to protect your daughter. Hire a private investigator to watch your ex-husband while he has your daughter. If he can film him drinking just two beers within an hour outside, he’s legally intoxicated and unfit to watch your daughter. You can take this information and go to court to try to restrict him to supervised visits only. He’ll get sick of that and probably take you up on your original offer to terminate his rights–unless, of course, he takes substance abuse counseling that the court will probably require, and changes his ways. From what you say, I wouldn’t bet the family farm on that.

You daughter is EIGHT and has her own cell phone???

Yes…she sure does. When she went to visit her dad…I told her to keep in on her side and to call me the second she wanted to come home or needed anything…wouldn’t you do the same?

quote:
Originally posted by fatlilbeagle
You can't terminate his rights. Even though you might not like the way he's doing things, or has done things, parents have certain unalienable rights. Even rapists can see their kids. However, you can do things to protect your daughter. Hire a private investigator to watch your ex-husband while he has your daughter. If he can film him drinking just two beers within an hour outside, he's legally intoxicated and unfit to watch your daughter. You can take this information and go to court to try to restrict him to supervised visits only. He'll get sick of that and probably take you up on your original offer to terminate his rights--unless, of course, he takes substance abuse counseling that the court will probably require, and changes his ways. From what you say, I wouldn't bet the family farm on that.
Thank you for your help! I will look at getting a PI and doing just that! And I bet you are right, he would get tired of it and feel like he couldn't do anything and give up his rights.

I will say that since your current husband wants to adopt her, if the father will agree to relinquish her rights you will have a much better case. Good luck to you.

Yup you better believe it i got my kids sprint cell phones with speaker phones on them (got sprint because thats what wifes bf got them (sprint to sprint is free but she rarely calls them guess they dont know it doesnt use minutes) thats the only way they talk to there mother is speaker phone (tired of her yelling at kids then lying about it) so yup i got my kids cell phones two.

to protect my kids anything

Thanks for any help
broken hearted

I left my ex-husband when my daughter was 3, she is now 8. He has alcohol problems, never wanted a thing in life and didn’t care to be a father. My present husband has raised my daughter since she was 3 1/2 years old and she knows him as her daddy. He loves her more than anything. My ex still to this day has only directly called to speak to my daughter 2 times and that was a few months ago on her cell phone. He has never had our phone number nor does he even know the name of her school, what meds she takes or the name of her doctors. He has only seen her 1 time a year on Christmas and that is because I called to see if he wanted to see her, and 1 time on her birthday. All of a sudden the past 4 or 5 months, he has called me and is wanting to spend time with her. When she goes, he stays outside with his buddies and drinks while she plays adult video games in the house that he lives in. He doesn’t even have a car. She has no toys at his house and no place to sleep, she has to sleep in bed with him. I just found out that he even spent the night at a buddies house with her. I have asked him to sign over his rights and he refuses. I make him pay child support, so I can spend that money on my daughter. He was “never” around when we were married and hasn’t been around for the 5 years since I left. I would like his rights terminated and my husband to adopt her, she has a daddy and a family. I don’t want to chance her being in this environment or being confused by him all of a sudden wanting to play daddy when he feels like playing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!