Can I work with an attorney to limit AoA expenses?

I’m considering bringing an AoA case against my wife’s paramour. My motivation for this is not monetary but to have a written record of the multiple affairs my wife had we were married.

All parties (except me) are very familiar with the legal system. This is important cause I’ve been told that I will be buried by legal expenses due the resources they have.

The paramour has assets but I expect he is judgement proof. I’ve consulted with several attorney’s and they all agree I have an excellent case however they gave me an estimate of 50k to 100k in legal costs.

My question is would it be ethical for a attorney to take the case and do minimal amount of work to get case into court? For example, if I said I have no more than 25k to spend on the case, could we get it heard before a jury. In other words, do minimal amount of work required even though it may result in a loss or small recovery.

Again, whats important for me is to get the facts recorded. This is not about revenge. I would like to know what really happened (more so from her wrt her multiple affairs). Its also unlikely the parties involved would lie about the events due to known facts (proof via PI) and their positions in the legal system.

I would be willing to have a consultation on the matter if this is remotely feasible. I’ve also been well briefed on the cons of such a case so I’m not going into this blindly.

Thank You

While an attorney may attempt to limit the amount of work they do on a case to keep the cost down, this is usually outside of their control. They must respond to discovery, attend hearings, etc., and if they failed to do so, this would be unethical. There are many ways to get the facts recorded without taking it to a jury trial. You could simply depose the appropriate people in your ongoing litigation with your spouse for the facts to be disclosed. That way, you wouldn’t have the expense of two cases. You could also file the case, do depositions, requests for admissions, and then, once that is on record, dismiss the action without taking it to trial. If your real motive is to obtain information, there my be more than one way to handle it, and it might be worthwhile to have another consultation to discuss those options.