Can my employer give out my personal information without my consent?

We are going through a separation. I was checking the answering machine and a voicemail from my place of employment was up there. It was the payroll office returning a call to my spouse not me but to my spouse. I returned the call and ask the payroll person why are you call my spouse that does not work there? They explain they were returning the call because my spouse called them. I told my place of employment not to give my spouse any information about me or my income. She said okay. I also called the Department of Social Service and told them I have not given my spouse my consent on anything and I have not signed my name on any papers to say it’s okay. Weeks later my spouse got mad at me and told me my job had given my income information to them and they gave it to the Department of Social Service and they used my income to help take care of their free insurance. My spouse would not sign the paperwork to help me get insurance. Can I sue all three of them? They conspired together against me…

Typically an employer would not be able to give such information without your consent. However, it is possible that DSS validly looked up your reported wages for legitimate purposes. DSS does have access to reported wage information.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.