Change of Circumstance

Would a step-parent being convicted of assault qualify as a substantial change in circumstances?

My daughter has recently re-married for a second time. She obviously has discussed how she feels about me to him. I’m the step dad and realize I have no legal rights in this matter. However, I took her biological mother to visit the grandchildren this past weekend. We were asked to stay at a hotel and had limited access to the grandchildren due to past conversations, emails / voicemails. My wife has physical limitations otherwise I would not even be making the trip. I know there are limited visitation rights for biological grandparents. However, is it fair for my wife to be punished with the grandchildren b/c of past emails / voicemails? We were held prisoners in a hotel room and were treated as criminals, convicted felons or even as child molesters with limited time with our grandchildren. It would appear to me that defamation of character may play a huge part in our last visit. Please advise at your earliest convenience.

williamske: Yes, I believe if a stepparent has been convicted of assault, that would qualify as a substantial change in circumstances allowing you to seek a modification of child custody.

HurtnTennessee: It seems like problem does not involve a legal issue. So far as I can tell there is no court order that requires you to stay in a hotel when you visit; this is just a demand that your stepdaughter is making. If you are wondering what grandparent rights are in North Carolina, consult our article: Grandparents and Custody.