Change Venue on child visitation issues

My granddaughters new husband has been battling child visitation issues over his daughter now for several years. He is a current resident of Moore County, nc whereas his ex wife is a resident of Robeson County, nc and hearings are held in Lumberton. Currently many issues are involved in this case over his 5 year old daughter. And many tricks are being played and apparently overlooked in the court system of Robeson. currently a report and accusation have been placed in court which involves a visitation the child had to the residence in Moore County, therefore the visitation case now involves Moore County and Moore county jurisdiction… So, can a change of venue been requested to change all legal issues within the cast from Robeson to Moore County.

He can file a motion to change venue but it may not be granted.

Proper venue is the county that either the plaintiff or the defendant reside. So it sounds like either county, Robeson or Moore, could be proper venue, but if the case has already been filed and has been heard by a judge in Robeson County, the judge would likely not be inclined to transfer it in the middle of litigation to another county.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.