Child support from out of state parent


Father has moved to Texas from North Carolina, leaving his pregnant wife and two children, ages 4 and 6. He is currently out of work and has moved in with his parents. Wife has no income and little savings. When father does find work, is there a legal way to force him to contribute to the support of his children before they are divorced? Also, is there any legal aid available to her pro bono? She is thinking about giving the baby up for adoption. Can the father prevent this?

The mom is taking an online course in order to be able to provide support for her family, but will not complete it for several months. Any suggestions for getting state financial assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.


The mother is entitled to child support, and can file an action for the same at anytime after the parties cease living together. DSS can help get a child support order in place.

As for the adoption, the father’s consent will be required unless his parental rights are terminated prior to the adoption.

The mother may be entitled to welfare benefits and should check with her local office.