Cohabitation Protection

My boyfriend is planning to move in with me - to the house that I own. We plan to get engaged but are not currently. In North Carolina, what do I need to do to protect myself and my home in case things dont’ work out?

Your home is your separate property, do not place his name on the deed and it will remain your separate property.

So, if things didnt’ work out and he were to move out in 6 months, he has no legal course, as in a marriage? I have heard nightmares about people expecting assets, etc even when there is no marriage license. Our salaries are about the same, but he will not be paying any of the mortgage or home bills.

If you do not marry him he has no legal interest in your home, or your salary, though you may have to initiate eviction proceedings if he did not move out voluntarily.