Conflict of Interest with other parties attorney


I have a child custody case serviced on me July 2016, days before I moved to Raleigh after saving money for months and had tried repeatedly to get his Father involved. Our move was due to my having a minor child(16) in Durham, better education and medical care (my 4 yr old son is often sick). My child’s father hired attorney Danny Hockaday out of Burnsville, NC in July 2016. For almost 3 years I worked at Yancey County as a Child Protective Services Social Worker and Danny Hockaday was the attorney with DSS. We worked on several cases together during that time. I have been trying to find out if this is a conflict of interest. I had an unsubstantiated DSS case in July 2016 and worry between knowing me and working with each other but also having a DSS case that he could be unfair about. The only person that gave me any info was a person in the courthouse that she thought I could only bring it up at the court date of Feb, 6th, 2017 in couple of weeks. I would really appreciate a clarifying answer because bringing it up in court as a pro se myself I fear it could make that attorney mad at me for even asking and he is already a very good attorney and argumentative attorney that I feel tries to upset people. PLEASE tell me what to do. Thank you so much for your time.

Stephanie Owens 828-242-5309
I live in Wake County since August 2016 however the case is still stuck in Mitchell County, NC


This is likely not a technical conflict of interest, although it certainly seems improper.

You may try discussing this with the attorney before the court date. You can inform the judge of the situation as well and the judge may or may not take any action.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.