Credit card balance transfer

If separation papers have not been signed can you still transfer credit card balances to a 0% card and both parties be liable or would that be the person opening a new card to get the 0% assuming that on their own? It would save a lot of money transferring to a 0%.

You can transfer the debt to a new card. Marital debt is debt that was acquired during the marriage and for a marital purpose or joint benefit of the marriage.

In the case of a balance transfer, the debt would continue to be marital (assuming it is classified as marital debt before the balance transfer) because it would have been acquired during the marriage for a marital purpose - the debt is not acquired on the date of the balance transfer.

You will need your credit card statements from before the balance transfer to show when the debt was acquired and for what purpose.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

1 Like