Custody battle and pregnant

You do not have to wait until custody is decided to remarry or live together. You do not even have to wait on Equitable Distribution is decided. The only thing you must wait on is Absolut Divorce.
There are two ways in which a court could look at this change of circumstance. The positive: You are in a stable relationship and will have a sibling for your current child/children. There will be two adults in the home to supervise and care for the child/children.
The negative: You are starting a new family and with a new child may have less time to devote to your current children/child. I’m NOT suggesting this is the case, but this is how it could be seen.

I’ve always said that as long as the child is not being treated badly and it’s an option, the best solution to custody is joint custody with equal time. I realize that this does not work for all families but it is the most fair for the children involved. They love both parents equally and should never be made to choose. If your ex is rational, which may not be the case if your in a custody battle, it may be a good idea to discuss this as a solution. If you can get along with him well enough to discuss the children and leave your own issues out of it, it truly is the best solution for the children.
Good Luck

It may take quite a while for your custodial issues to be resolved. The fact that you are going to have another child will impact the custodial situation, but it may not negatively affect it. Before you move in with your fiance you should meet with an attorney and discuss all the specific facts of your case.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My STBX and I have been separated for 8 months, and are in a custody battle. I met my now fiance six months ago, and I am one month pregnant(with his child). My fiance and I do not live together, but plan to after my divorce is finalized. I have heard that custody battles can go on well after the actual divorce. Will we have to wait to live together until custody is decided, and how much will this affect custody? Thank you.