Custody for 6 month old


Dear Holly:

Greetings. No, I do not know of any court documents that you can just get to help. You need a parenting agreement or a consent order, and I believe that you will need an attorney to assist you. You may want to talk to friends or family for assistance with legal fees. It sounds like you are really working on a career choice through education, and I wish you the best.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am 20 years old, and I have a beautiful 6-month old baby girl. When I gave birth her father was present, and his name is on the birth certificate. He was in our life but NOW is just a part of her life. I do not have legal custody per any legal documents. I need to have legal custody. She resides with me. Her father can’t keep a job, nor does he have a stable home for himself much less a baby…What can I do to get legal custody of my baby? I am currently awaiting to start a certificate program at the local college, and I am unemployed. I have no income. I plan to enroll in a 4 year curriculum this fall…and until then I will gain employment in May after I have completed my certificate program.
Please help me to decide what to do? Is there some documents that I can get at the local courthouse and submit to the court system myself. i can not afford an attorney.