Custody of non blood relative


Dear Kimere:

Greetings. I don’t know the laws in Indiana, so I cannot help you. Please speak with an attorney in Indiana as the laws on domestic disputes and custody is different from state to state. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I live in Indiana. I have had a little boy(he is now 16 months old) since three days after he came home from the hospital.
His mother stays in and out of trouble with the law and has active warrants. Last week his grandmother came home from prison and now wants custody of him and his 4 other siblings.
I know that I have rights because I am the only person who has ever taken him to the doctor and every other agency. He gets medical assistance from the state and it is also under my name.
I really need to know what legal document I need to file to obtain custody of him. I realize she will be served and I know she will not respond because she has active warrants for her arrest.
Please help if you can.

Kimere E Smith