Custody vs child support

Child support has nothing to do with marriage or birth certificatss. If the child is the offspring of the parent then the parent has an obligation to provide support. If the parent denies, or is uncertain about the legitimacy of the child, there are methods of determining whether a person is, in fact, the parent.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have a question concerning the child support of a 2 yesr old that does not share your surname or where your name is not even on the child burth certificate. Is the erson still legally obligateed to child support in such a case? This is when the couple has never been married.