Denied parental rights


Unfortunately, there is no law that will allow you to seek monetary compensation for the lost time with your daughter. However, you can seek attorney’s fees, they will be granted at the court’s discretion. I am sorry you have had such a difficult time being a part of your child’s life, I commend you for having the courage to keep fighting.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


I guess my question is pretty simple. If I have knowingly been denied my parental rights by dragging out legitization proceedings in court to the point of the case being sent to Superior Court (refusal by mother to submit to DNA testing, denial of paternity, continuances etc) do I have a civil case for compensation for the 9 months of my child’s life that I have been denied by the mother? I still have not had the opportunity to meet my child for the first time and it’s tearing me up. I do have a lawyer and have been at this since before the child was born with letters from my lawyer before the baby was born requesting to set up support and visitation and months and months of waiting, court appearances all while I miss out on time in my child’s life that can never be replaced. I AM requesting primary physical custody but it seems like forever until I get even to that point!