You two will have to come to an agreement on who gets the house. Whoever does not get the house is entitled to their half of the equity in the house (the amount that your house worth now versus the amount the house was worth when you bought it). I am not sure if they could make you sell the property or not. And NC does not require attempt at reconciliation…only a one year separation.

Shortly after my wife and I got married we purchased a house. Shortly after that I was injured on the job and put on permanent disability. She left me about a year ago and I am getting ready to file for a divorce. I am currently living in the house and now she wants the house. I have made all the mortgage payments from the first day until now. Being that I am disabled, will the court allow me to stay in the house? Also, does the state require an attempt at reconcilliation before a divorce is granted?