Domestic, Body damage

Thank you. It is legal for me to contact the person who physically assaulted me, causing a hinder on my daily activities and duties, on my left (prominent) making it very difficult to do and deal with the pain? I care for 2 small children and having to either try the reconstructive open shoulder surgery (very risky for me) or continue with injections for the pain .

Is it legal for me to contact her to let her know that i am pursuing a lawsuit for slander and permanent bodily damage and ask if she would like to settle this out of court? I want to make sure that she doesn’t flip out and use blackmail because she is volatile person before I proceed.

Thank you

Unless there is a court order that prohibits you from contacting another person, you can reach out to that person.

You can let that person know you are taking steps to file a lawsuit but oftentimes the better course of action is to send a demand letter/offer of settlement and attempt to negotiate and settle the issues. If that doesn’t work, then you would proceed with the lawsuit.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.