Ex-spouse Withholding Belongings/Papers From Child (18yr old)

Hello there. I am the daughter of a woman who has been divorced for 3+ years now. My mother & I live in GA but my father lives in NC.

We moved years ago but didn’t have enough room in the Uhaul (20-something foot truck) to bring a few of my items.
The time has come that I need to get a hold of them before we move across the country, but he is withholding these items (old childhood toys, a collection, some other items, plus my mother’s .22 handgun and supposedly some documents pertaining to stocks I need to sign that my grandmother on my father’s side left me when she died). Time is running out before we move.
Can he just keep these items and hold them over my head like I’m some kind of dog?
It’s worth mentioning he’s highly abusive, he abused us for years emotionally/psychologically. He is a psychopath, narcissist, and pedophile which explains why I am hesitant to meet him in his state but he says either I come and get the items myself or I won’t have them. I at first suggested we meet at a halfway point. He’s been very adamant about getting his way and has been stringing me along for MONTHS. What can I do legally, if anything?? They’re my items.


Unless there is a court order that would have required him to hand over the items to your mother by a certain time and he did not, there isn’t anything you can do in family court. You would have to sue him in small claims court to obtain your items.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.