Excess child support

Is it possible that if a non custodial parents gives the custodial parent money in excess of what is currently ordered for child support through DSS, the custodial parent could potentially inform DSS when child support is reviewed and child support could be increased since it appears the noncustodial parent could pay more than they already are?

The only way a current child support order can be modified is by proving a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the child. Without the substantial change in circumstances, the child support order cannot be modified.

If a child support order is modified, the court can deviate from the monthly obligation per the child support worksheet if the judge finds that the child’s needs are better met by an amount of child support that is different from the worksheet amount. The judge will take into consideration a parent’s ability to provide support in making this determination, but voluntary payments above and beyond the current child support order cannot be the sole reason for increasing child support.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you for the response