Family law or adoption

I live in Florida and my daughter lives in North Carolina. She was adopted around the age of 3, and now she’s 17 and wants to live with me… Legally can she move in with me?

If your daughter was adopted then your parental rights were likely terminated and you will have no standing to file a custody or visitation lawsuit in NC. Since your daughter is still a minor child, the adoptive parents have full control over where she lives. Your daughter cannot make this decision until either she turns 18 or is emancipated by a court order.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.