GAL appointment

Hello! I am new to this forum…I have been divorced for 2 years. My ex is abusing alcohol during his custodial time and our young children are fearful of him and have anxiety about going to his house. My 6 and 8 year old reported this to their teachers and school counselor. He was confronted and admitted to having an alcohol problem. Today he is back pedaling. CPS is now involved. How do I pursue having GAL appointed? Our case is in Wake County. Thanks!

Your better course of action is to file a custody lawsuit against the other parent, or file a motion to modify your current custody order. You can also include a motion for a guardian ad litem to be appointed or a child’s advocate to be appointed, which is a unique program to Wake County.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.