Getting him to leave

If he throws another tantrum and breaks something, call the cops. Tell them the story and show them the damage. They will make him leave. Then get a restraining order against him. I say this because this happened to a friend of mine. He got physical with his wife (very stupid). She called the cops and that was the last time he was in that house. That was 2 years ago. She got the house, she got the kids, she got alimony, she got child support. End of story.

Sherry…get some type of recorder and record the outburst. If you have a cell phone, you may have a recorder on it. This can be used in court. There is no excuse for this type of behavior. The only one I can think of is immaturity. Please protect yourself and your children. Get a restraining order, call the police, whatever you need to do. If you say it is ok to do this then your children will believe it is ok as well. This cycle repeats itself. Change the locks. Put his **** in the yard. No one should have to deal with this when there are little ones involved. This is how people get hurt.

Violence in the home is not acceptable. If his conduct is putting you in fear for your safety or causing you emotional distress you can seek a protective order. A protective order will order him out of the home and keep him from returning. What county do you live in?

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I’ve been married almost 2 yrs. We have a blended family. My son is 11, his is 7 and daughter is 5. He pretended to like my son prior to the marriage, but ever since we said “I Do” all he does is pick on him. He intimidates my son and me. He is very controlling and is getting more so every day. When he gets angry he throws anything that gets in his way, flips furniture over, knocks holes in doors, etc. I’ve had to have 1 door replaced and the kitchen porcelain sink because he threw something and knocked the enamel off in several places. I never know when he’s going to go off on one of these fits. I’ve told him I want him out and he refuses to leave. He says I cannot simply pack his clothes and put them outside and change the locks because all he has to do is show the cops his license with address and they’ll let him back in. I had the house built 2 yrs before I even knew him and it is only in my name. What are my options. I have NO money to hire an attorney. HELP!