Help for Engaged Couples?

Is anyone going to respond to me?

I’m going to give my novice advice. I may be wrong, but unless there were some written contract, your name on the mortgage (or deed), or he is willing to acknowledge your equity, there really isn’t much recourse. He could argue that you’d be paying rent/mortgage if you were living somewhere else. Like I said I may be wrong, but from my experience this seems to be the case. I’m sorry.

Dear Cole8951:

Greetings. You would have been responded to if you had not “bumped” your post, which caused you to wait longer.

No, there are not legal rights for engaged couples under “divorce” law. You must just follow the law as if you were never married. There is no Palimony in NC. Thanks

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I wondered if there are any legal rights for engaged couples who live together. We’ve recently broken off our engagment and I am moving out. My fiance sees no need to help me with the transition financially. I’ve been helping him pay the mortgage for two years and it doesn’t seem fair. Any advice?