Important divorce question

Is my wife entitled to half my 401 at date of separation or until we actually get divorced. How about savings and checking? And what is the easiest way to acquire a criminal report in nc. Thanks.

Your wife is entitled to one-half of the value of the 401(k) that accumulated during the marriage (from the date of marriage to the date of separation), plus any passive increases based on this amount.

Your wife is entitled to one-half of the checking and savings accounts.

The clerk of court’s office can usually assist with NC criminal record checks. Note there is a fee for these.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.