Inheritance issues

Dear Screwed:

First, let me say that I hope you are recovering well from your surgeries and that you have no more need for them in the near future.

Now, yes, you have options. You can ask the court for post separation support, alimony, equitable distribution (dividing property), and your attorney fees. The court can make him keep medical insurance on you, which you obviously need.

As far as the threats of physical harm, etc. I would suggest a domestic violence restraining order.

I am sorry that you feel like you are alone in the valley right now, but keep your eyes on the sky and your hopes up. Take action and see an attorney, even if you have to borrow the money now. A judge will definitely not like his behavior. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

</font id=“size3”></font id=“red”></font id=“Book Antiqua”>
Hello. I am 24 years old, and already going through a divorce. I have endured 4 major surgeries this year, including a radical hystorectomy. The day before the hystorectomy, my husband }:slight_smile: called me at the hospital and told me that he wants a divorce. I have tried my best to be agreeable in the seperation process, because he said that if I don’t he will make my life hell.He is already taking away my health insurance, and giving me an allowance of$100.00 a week.I don’t know what I am going to do. Now, he is threatening that if I don’t do what he wants, he will take away my car that he bought(and gave to me as a GIFT!)that he purchased with part of his inheritance money. He told me that if he calls and I don’t answer the phone, that he will do mean things to me. I feel like I am being blackmailed, and I don’t see why he should be able to abuse me since we are seperated.He threatens that he will take my car away, take my puppy away, and not give me money for my prescriptions…not to mention the physical threats. I have almost run out of hope. I don’t know what to do, and I am tired of being a victim. Please, can you tell me what my rights are in this situation, if I even have any. I just don’t know how much more I can endure from him. Please…I need some help. I’m desperate…

Totally being screwed