Joint account

My (ex)spouse and I financed some furniture while married. She is listed as the primary on the account. She stated that since she was keeping the furniture that she would continue to make the payments. She has not made a payment on said account since Feb and at the time of making that payment, she SOMEHOW had the agreeement pulled up and had HER social security number replaced with MINE (so now it seems as if i have 2 accounts with them-one under my name and ss# AND HER name with MY ss#.) This was brought to my attention after the store that we financed the furniture called (3months later) to let me know that she had done it and that they are actively looking to locate her. I know that she has moved out of state and has taken the furniture with her. I did have them correct the SS# issue, adding her’s back to the account. There’s no question that I want to divorce her and I’m aware that I can take the cheaper/easier way out and do it online, but before I do, I would like to know if I can go through with it with a lawyer and somehow have it arranged so that my name is removed from the account completely. I don’t know that it counts for much but I do have messages saved in which she states that she will be paying for the furniture. I have been in contact with the furniture store and not one time has it been suggested that I need to pay…but you know how that goes.

If there is no formal agreement or order in place stating that your former spouse was going to satisfy the furniture debt, you really don’t have much recourse. If you are not divorced yet, you could always sue your spouse for equitable distribution and ask the court to settle your property division, and the furniture debt could be addressed in your ED order. Otherwise, you could always look into pressing criminal charges (based on what she did with the social security numbers) or pursue the matter in small claims court. But, if there is no written separation agreement or court order stating that she would satisfy the debt and indemnify you, there is no enforcement mechanism to release you from that obligation.