“Venue” is the place (county, generally) where an action is to be heard. Venue can be changed. A party may be granted a change of venue in four situations:

a) if the action is not brought in a proper county (for example, if a wife filed a custody action in a county where she, the husband, nor the child resided at the time of filing), or

b) if the convenience of the witnesses and the “ends of justice” would be promoted by a change of venue, or

c) if the judge has ever been an interested party or counsel, or

d) if a plaintiff in a divorce action requests a change of venue before the defendant has been served with the summons.

David L. McGuire
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Is there ever a case or circumstances to a case where jurisdiction is changed? And if so, what would the reasons be?