Key man insurance

Dear annelafrance:

Greetings. It depends. You need to speak with an attorney and give them all the details and let them make a decision. Actions during a marriage can change the marital or separate nature of property, including businesses and real estate. Thank you and good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband has said since he had the business before we were married I am not getting my share of the business, he stated that he had key mann insurance since he is the business and that would stop me from sueing for the business in equitible dist. Is this true . I thought we we purchased key man insurance it was so that no one could take the business in the event of an accident or law suit not divorce???