Maiden Name retained

I do not know where you could get one of these pamphlets but it does state that a woman does not legally have to take her husband’s last name.

See this link: ncbar.org/public/publication … geInNC.pdf

There is no law that requires you take your Husband’s name. I do not know why the bank would be trying to force you to do this.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

The bank I deal with …when I got an equity loan they required my husband’s signature on the loan as per NC law…and thus that equity loan acct is in my name with married name at the end…as they said it has to be. For some reason the bank taking a look at my accounts with one in my normal normal name (maiden name) as with all else drivers license etc etc…they have decided I have to change everything into my name with married name at end…unless ME can prove legally it is not necessary.
A ROYAL hassle in midst of a nightmare right now. SO to get them off my back I wanted something in NC law that addresses this. The pdf file in previous helpful post I can NOT pull up having NO program to convert pdf files…dang.
Does anyone have this in MC word or? Need to print out and get it to the bank.

Jessica Almond

There is no law requiring you to change your name, it is hard to prove the absence of a law. The bank is clearly wrong, I would call and ask to speak with a supervisor or a manager, until you find someone there who can solve the problem.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Maybe you could ask the bank to provide you with the paperwork that requires you to use your married name. If not law, then their written policy which you would have access to and signed when opening the account(s). If they cannot provide this then they should back down and let things be. You also have the ability to remove your accounts from this bank and take it to another. It sucks and is a hassle, but in this day and age banks don’t really care about individuals. They’re all corporatly owned now and in my experience, more wooried about the bottom line than informing clients of their financial rights.

You can visit the website that I found this pamphlet on at:
www.ncbar.org. Go under “Public” and “Publications” after that it is under the heading “This is the Law Pamphlets”. You can download the reader for the PDF program and open the files from there. There may also be a way to request one or see where you can find this locally.
I believe the bank made a mistake requiring you to sign with your married name on the equity loan and in trying to correct one mistake they made, they are making another. I agree with trbotina, ask them to show you why they require this. They work for you, not the other way around…

THANK YOU ALL for valued info and support

I have printed out that pamplet info.
ALSO I will say that as mentioned…I am going to throw this hot potato into the banks hands and have them show me what proff they have that says I have to use a married name rather than retaining my maiden name and if push comes to shove I will move my accounts

Jessica Almond

What NC law tells about retaining maiden name only when marrying
rather than assuming husband’s last name?
Prior to and When married in Jan 2006 and since…I chose to use my maiden name ONLY and remains so…social security, bank accounts,
cars, house, driver license, loans, credit cards, car registrations,
my business name and its licenses, etc etcEVERYTHING.
My Bank has called wanting me to change EVERYTHING to
include spouse’s last name at end of my maiden name
since an equity loan I took out after marrying on my home bought prior
to marriage by law had to have husband’s approval/signature and therfor the bank has the equity loan account in my name soley showing aas Jessica - Maiden name - Husband’s name
The bank is pushing and wants me to do so immediately to have
ALL my accounts with them which is IRA and checking and equity loan
all with husband’s last name as my last name.
UNLESS I can show proof that it is legal for me to retain
my maiden name ONLY tho being married.
This would be devastating to change everything particularly since
I am separated and in court in midst of divorce proceedings to this man i married in Jan 2006 who has swindled me out of a fortune and do NNOT want to bear his name on anything!

Can you site a law in NC that permits a woman to carry only her
maiden name only when marrying? I DO SO PRAY :>)

Jessica Almond