Married property


Me and my husband are married living in different states I am living in California for work and he is in North Carolina we are not seperated or getting a divorce. He wants to buy a house without me having ownership to it and I’m fine by that what documents do I need to guarantee he gets a house without me having to do with it.


You both will need to sign a free trader agreement which would allow your husband to purchase real property without your name on the deed.

If purchasing real property in NC while married, NC law requires that both spouses’ names be on the deed unless there is a free trader document that has been executed.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.