Non-abandonment agreement

The process of dividing your assets is referred to as equitable distribution, even if you don’t go to court. Unless you have been served with a complaint, I would not assume that an action for equitable distribution has been filed.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

When I first left the house I sighned a non-abandonment agreement in which I recieved a small cash payment that the document refered to as an “equitable distribution advance”. Would or could this mean that they have filed a claim for equitable distribution? If so, why have I not been served the “Equitable Distribution Claim”? A reputable lawyer reviewed this document for me and said it was ok to sign. I no longer have this attorney because I can’t afford him.