Parent inherits child illegitimate

I’ve never heard of such a thing. Inheritance money is his to do with as he wishes. I know of no law that says anyone has to put inheritance money aside for children (legitimate or illegitimate) unless something was written in an agreement of sorts that says he has to.

My apologies if this sounds harsh, because I do not mean it that way. As far as I can tell from your profile, you are not an attorney, correct?

I am almost certain that I was told this was the case a few years ago by a different attorney. That’s why I’d prefer to hear from an attorney regarding this

Also, I could be wrong, but I do believe it’s true that if parents are divorced and one inherits a lot of money, they do have to make provisions for any minor children. It’s considered an asset, if I recall correctly. The case of illegitimate children seems like it ought benefit them as well.

Thank you for your reply.

I have not heard of this either and I have been reading things on family law for several years now. I have also searched through the NC General Assembly statutes and there is nothing that I can find on this.
If the child’s parent dies, maybe there is something that must be done with the estate for the child; but unless you go back to court to modify child support and include the inheritance as income, there is an agreement between you, or you are also listed in the inheritance, you can not force him to do what you wish.

EDIT: I did find this on NCGA statutes, but it’s the only thing that I found concerning children and inheritance:
"

belleKell this is a forum where regular people and attorney’s can share their knowledge and experiences. It is a great resource. Unfortunately (fortunately for others) many of us have been battling our spouses for so long we have developed a wealth of knowledge on many aspects of divorce child support etc.

I believe stepmother is correct. There is no such law. Inheritance is from one person to another person or persons named in the will or to the very next of kin. Of course we have all seen legal battles over inheritance. People trying to get wills overturned and the like.

If he signed an agreement with someone then he would be obligated.

There is no law I am aware of that requires him to set aside a portion of this inheritance for the children.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My children’s father, who have never been legally legitimated by him, but who have lived with him and he has socially acknowledged for years, and is listed on their birth certificates, inherited a sizeable amount of money when his father died.

Is he or is he not required to put aside ten percent of this money for each child in a bank account that he does not have access to.

Again, these children are not legitimate, but have been acknowledged as his for years, even living with him at certain times.

I was told that he had to put ten percent of this sizeable inheritance into an account for each child.