If you are asking if your ex should pay more alimony because the person you live with has extrodinary health care needs then the answer would be no. In face, doesn’t cohabitation “as if married” mean that you have no claim to alimony…? Or that a present alimony can be discontinued?

I am confused by your question, are you referring to child support or alimony? If your ex is cohabitating they would not be entitled to alimony. If you are talking about child support and your child has significant medical expenses, the court may consider it as an extraordinary expense for the party paying those expenses.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Hi Rosen and fellow visitors

In case of very large health care needs - should the financial situation of the person with whom the dependent party cohabitates in an “as of married” relation be taken into account when calculating the support needs of that party?