PC and Therapy

My ex husband has scheduled therapy appointments for our children on my custodial time without consulting me at all. When I explained the dates/times would not work for me due to work conflicts the therapist stated my ex could take the children. This is a very high conflict case, my ex husband has broken the order multiple times without consequence and he lied in court. Can our PC force me to take the children to therapy on the days/times he has booked on my custodial weeks or do I have the legal right to reschedule or cancel these appointments. I am not implying I do not want to take them to therapy but it’s important I am allowed to schedule appointments on my time and that appointments are scheduled when both of us can attend when possible.
Thx

If your custody order does not address this, then the PC can resolve the therapy scheduling conflict assuming the appointment order gives the PC this ability (it likely does). It is improper for one parent to schedule appointments for the children or otherwise obligate the children to commitments during the other parent’s custodial time unless it is agreed upon by both parents.

You have the right to explain your reasoning to the PC about what the PC’s decision should be. However, you must follow the final decision of the PC.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.