PC appointment but not filed with the court

I have a high conflict custody situation and a court ordered PC. Her appointment ends this week but I can not find a signed contract. There is no contract or any PC related filings with the court and she has yet to provide a copy of the contract although she has been asked for it. My ex husband’s attorney states she does not have a copy of it as well. My ex wants to keep her because she seems to be on his side. I do not.

What happens if there is no signed contract record at all? What happens if there is a signed contract but it was not filed with the courts? Will any of the decisions she has made still be valid if nothing was ever filed with the courts?

1 Like

If no PC appointment was ever signed by the judge and filed with the courts, then the PC was never properly appointed. If the PC’s term ends this week, then there is no obligation to continue with the PC’s services unless one of the parties makes a motion in court to have the PC formally appointed.

If you and your ex-husband both signed a contract or both signed the PC appointment order (though it was never filed), you should still follow the decisions of the PC. The unfiled appointment order, even if signed by both parties, can act as a contract and obligate you to follow the PC’s decisions.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.