Perception by the judge(Adultery DBB/divorce)

Does it look bad if I don’t care how bad the laws comes down on my spouse during the separation/divorce? Spouse was the dependant spouse that cheated. Does it look bad if I take every opportunity to legally NOT pay her anything or give her any support? I am pissed and do not want to support her at all. She will be in essence destitute and living with friends for a long while. Does it make a difference if there are children involved? Will me cutting my wife off fully affect custody negatively on my part?

No, it will not look bad on you if you pursue every legal option against your spouse in an effort to avoid paying alimony. That is the purpose of those laws.

Even if you prove your case successfully and she is not awarded alimony, you will likely still owe her child support if she has primary custody or you have joint physical custody since it sounds like she has been financially dependent on you. It is wise to voluntarily pay child support or at least ensure that the children are financially provided for until a full and final resolution is in place. It will not look good on you, regardless of the circumstances, if you do not provide voluntary child support when (I’m assuming) you earn significantly more than she does unless she is not receiving overnight visitation with the children.

Take a look at our Child Support Calculator to see what child support might be in your situation.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.