Property help

Can I have my dead bolts changed? An attorney told me to do it immediately to insure that everything inside the house would be mine. My husband moved out 3 months ago while I was in the hospital. I texted repeatedly and he has not answered with ONE word. Why is this? He’s with an attorney.

Since you are already separated, you can change the locks to your house. This does not mean that the personal property items in the house will become yours. This is because any marital property items can be divided in equitable distribution.

There could be any number of reasons why your husband has not responded to your repeated texts. Since he is not responding, you may need to file a court action against him to resolve the issues of equitable distribution, alimony, child custody, and child support.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.