Dear davec:

Greetings. Not quite, but you lose a substantial amount of your rights. Best of luck…and please sign a separation agreement.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My wife and I have verbally agreed to an uncontested divorce. As part of this agreement, new deeds will be drawn and I will sign over our joint property (house, real estate, and rental property). If I deed her this and she decides to renege on our verbal agreement and contest the divorce, have I given up my rights to an equitable distribution of property?