Question on COBRA

You can file for divorce in either state. No need to wait for him. We do divorces by mail all of the time.

Check with your health insurance carrier to see if you are eligible for COBRA benefits. It does not need to be provided for in your separation agreement for you to get the benefits.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I looked through my seperation agreement and saw nothing stating anything about insurance. There is a paragraph about the spouses employee benefits but I don’t know if that includes medical insurance.

Also, if I am residing in another state and have been for over a year, and he is stalling on getting the divorce over with (the filing, etc.) what can I do about it? I live in Pennsylvania now and he still resides in NC.

Thank you!