Recourse for Unjustifiable Lawsuit


I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. Since last August I’ve talked on the phone every few months with an ex-girlfriend who is in a bad marriage. While I was in town a couple of weeks ago, we had a couple drinks at a bar and then played pool. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel old emotions for her, but I’m an adult and know the limits. It’s not like we ran out and had sex.

Her husband found out we saw each other and evidently is in a rage, so here’s my pre-emptive question. If I am unjustifiably sued, what recourse(s) do I have? Can I make him pay my lawyer fees? What other options do I have?

He certainly can argue, but will be unable to prove inclination and opportunity. Furthermore, based on how infrequently we talk to each other as friends and the fact that she always initiates contact, it would be hard to prove an alienation case.


If the husband files an action “in good faith”, meaning he actually believes he has a valid claim, you do not have any recourse for the filing, other than defending the claim and disproving the elements of his claim.